It's Super Bowl Sunday! I know technically it is past Super Bowl Sunday, but this is what I made for the Super Bowl. What can I say, I'm a Lions fan, I'm a little behind on things. However, I did cheer for the Giants since I live in New York. For me the Super Bowl is about the food, this menu of new foods has been planned for several weeks, I was just waiting for a reason to cook it all!
Super Bowl Menu
- Blood Orange Margaritas
- Bacon wrapped, blue cheese stuffed dates
- Pulled Pork Sliders
- Cole Slaw
- Football shaped brownies
All the recipes will be posted, but for now, let's focus on the main event!
Pulled Pork Sliders
Adapted from Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats
- 4 1/2 lbs pork shoulder (also called pork butt)
- liberal amounts of Lawry's Seasoning
- 16 oz (2 cups) diet Dr. Pete (I have a Soda Stream, otherwise you can use Dr. Pepper or any soda of your choice, I have seen recipes with Diet Pepsi, Root Beer, and Coke)
- 18 oz BBQ Sauce - I used Rudy's Bar-BQ Sauce, it had been gifted to us and has been sitting in the cupboard for awhile
- 20 Mini Rolls
Cover the pork with a lot of seasoning salt, cover all the sides.
Place the pork in the crock pot.
Pour in about half the bbq sauce and the soda.
Cook for 6-8 hours on low, I cooked about about 8 and then shred with two forks.
Add more bbq sauce as needed and keep warm in the crock pot.
The pulled pork was delicious! The meat was really juicy and tender. My pork was really fatty and it sort of grossed me out, but I guess that's why pulled pork is so wonderful, all the fattiness!
Adapted from Beantown Baker
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, I use Hellman's
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- generous sprinkle of Kosher salt
- several cracks of fresh ground pepper
- 16 oz bag prepared Cole slaw mix
Whisk together the first 6 ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the Cole slaw mix. Use a rubber spatual to mix until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready for serving. I like my Cole slaw well married and a little soggy so I made it in the morning to serve at game time.