Another week of cupcakes, never a bad thing! These cupcakes were made for my friend and co-work, Adriana, Happy Birthday Bitch! I know it sounds mean, but if you know Adriana, it is completely appropriate!! I saw these cupcakes a few weeks ago on Pinterest and I was looking for a perfect occasion, Adriana's birthday is a perfect occasion! I made these cupcakes mini because more people will grab a little cupcake than a big and if you enjoyed one little cupcake, it is easy to justify having one or two more! The White Russian cupcakes actually taste better the next day! I think the frosting needs the time to absorb all of the Kahlua deliciousness! I added a lot of Kahlua and vodka, because I like a good strong White Russian, and apparently all of my taste testers at work seemed to agree! These little babies had a lot of rave reviews!!! The smell when you opened the box was out of this world, the cupcakes just perfumed the air with White Russians!
White Russian Cupcakes Adapted from Baked Perfection Yield 36-40 mini cupcakes
White Russian Cupcakes 1 1/4 cup flour 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 3/4 cup sugar 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature 1 egg 1 egg white 1 teaspoon vanilla 1/2 cup whole milk 2 tablespoons vodka + 2 tablespoons vodka 2 tablespoons Kahlua + 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Sift together the dry ingredients onto parchment paper.
- Cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time and beat to combine. Beat in the vanilla.
- Measure the milk into a large measuring cup and add in 2 tablespoons each of vodka and Kahlua.
- Turn the mixer on the lowest speed and add in the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with two additions of the milk mixture.
- Mix with a spatula to make sure everything is well combined.
- Using a one tablespoon mini scoop, portion into lined mini-cupcake pans. Bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Stir together the remaining vodka and Kahlua and brush onto the warm cupcakes. Set on a wire rack to cool.
Kahlua Buttercream 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature 2 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature 1/4 teaspoon salt 7 cups powdered sugar (or a 2 lb bag) 8-9 tablespoons Kahlua 2 tablespoons vodka 1 tablespoon heavy cream 1 ounce dark chocolate, grated
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Add in the salt and beat to combine
- Add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time and beat slowly at first and then increase the speed until the mixture is creamy. Things will get thick.
- Mix together the vodka, Kahlua, and cream and add the mix slowly to the frosting. Only add enough liquid so that the frosting is the right consistency and the flavor is good. Remember, it tastes more boozey the next day!
- Add the frosting to a large piping bag with a Wilton 1M tip and pipe onto the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with grated chocolate.