It's St. Patrick's Day! Or at least it will be soon! I made these little guys for a St. Patrick's Day Parade lunch along with Irish Car Bomb Brownies. I don't know if I should let you on a a little secret, but red velvet cupcakes are only red because of the red food coloring. Yes, the little but of cocoa gives the cupcakes a slightly reddish hue, but not the red associated with red velvet. This being said, you can create almost any color "velvet" cupcakes or cake you want! I've made pink and green so far.
Green Velvet Mini Cupcakes Yield - 24 mini cupcakes Adapted from my Red Velvet Cupcakes
3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons cake flour 2 1/4 teaspoons Dutch-processed cocoa, unsweetened 3/8 tea. salt 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1 egg, room temperature squirt of green gel food coloring paste (I use Americolor Leaf Green) 3/4 teaspoon vanilla 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 3/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, and salt onto wax paper.
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment beat together the oil and sugar. Add in the egg and beat well. Add the vanilla and food coloring and mix on medium until everything is well combined.
- Beat in the flour in 3 three batches on low speed alternating with two batches of buttermilk.
- Beat everything on high speed for 5 seconds to combine well.
- In a small measuring cup mix the soda and vinegar together and then add to the batter mixing well.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, add batter to lined mini cupcake pans.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of a center cupcake cleanly.
- Be careful of baking times, every oven is different and you do not want to over-bake these little guys. Immediately place on a wire rack to cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting 2 unsalted butter, room temperature 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature 3 cups powdered sugar 1 tea. vanilla Green sprinkles
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment beat the butter and cream cheese together until fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time until well combined and then beat in the vanilla.
- Scoop the frosting into a pipping bag and pipe onto each cupcake with a large, round tip.
- Sprinkle with green sprinkles if desired.