After last week's cupcake fest, I wanted to post something healthy. Now that it's summer vacation I actually have time to make a nice lunch and eat it during the day. There are few things better than fresh vegetables, some feta, and a light dressing! When tomatoes are at their peak, I want to eat them everyday.
I had never heard of a Shepherd Salad before I moved to New York, but now I love them! When I order one from a restaurant they always seem to have too much oil or not enough feta. Typically I just make the salads at home now. I feel like this salad goes by a lot of different names, but whatever it's called, it's delicious!
This a salad that gets better as the week goes on. I made the salad Monday morning and ate some for lunch all week. Luckily, I can eat the same thing multiple days in a row! This is a quick and easy lunch salad or side salad. Shepherd salad would also be great for a picnic or barbecue. All ingredients are completely customizable for your tastes and preferences. I like my salad this way!
Shepherd Salad Yield 4-6 servings
2 beefsteak tomatoes 1 English cucumber 1 medium red onion 2 lemons, juiced olive oil salt pepper 8 ounces feta cheese
- Chop the tomatoes into quarters and squeeze the excess juice and chop up. Chop the cucumber and add it to the tomatoes.
- Peel and slice the red onion into thin pieces, add to the tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Juice two lemons into the vegetables and add in a swig of olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix to combine.
- Chop up the feta and add to the salad. Mix in.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Drain excess liquid if necessary.