Sometimes you just need a nice and simple cookie to take to a BBQ. In this case my cousin was having a BBQ in her sweet, little backyard with her roommates. This party was a throw back with a pony keg and some flip cup. Afternoons like that are what summer is made for!
The end of June and beginning of July turns into a period of heavy socialization between end of the school year parties, celebrating my birthday, Fourth of July, and the start of summer. I love it! I'm relaxed, I don't have to go to work, life is good!
This is a time for colorful, simple cookies. These M & M cookies come together in a snap and one batch makes a decent amount of cookies. The M & M cookies had fantastic views at the BBQ! They are perfectly soft and chewy. I love the dark chocolate M & M's, but they would be great with any type of M & M, specifically, I would love to make them with some pretzel M & M's!
M & M Cookies Adapted from How Sweet it is Yield - 33 cookies
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted & cooled 1 cup packed brown sugar 1/2 cup sugar 1 egg + 1 egg yolk 2 teaspoons vanilla 2 cups + 2 tablespoons flour 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 cup M & M’s (I used dark chocolate M & M’s)
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and melt the butter in the microwave. Let the butter cool as you gather the rest of your ingredients and line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter and sugars together until they are well combined in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Add in the eggs and vanilla and again beat until combined.
- Sift together the flour, soda, and salt onto wax paper. Add to the wet ingredients on low speed and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the M & M’s. Use a 2 tablespoon scoop to make balls of dough.
- Rip each dough ball in half and smoosh the halves together. Sprinkle with Kosher salt.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until just set. Cool on a wire rack.