I'm neither a vegetarian or gluten free, but sometimes it is fun to cook that way. The idea of using cauliflower as a base for pizza has been floating around Pinterest for awhile and I have been curious to try it out myself. I was making dinner for a few friends and the idea of garlic bread was inciting, and a lower-cal garlic bread sounded even better!
Using cauliflower as a base for garlic cheese bread does not require anymore steps than making a dough from scratch. The only difference I would make would be to drain the cauliflower of some of it's liquid to create a dryer dough. The edges became nice and crispy, but I wish the middle was crispier. The flavor is fantastic! There is a strong garlic flavor and plenty of cheesy goodness.
Cheesy Garlic Cauliflower “Bread” Adapted from Mom, what’s for dinner? Yields - 3-4 servings
1 small cauliflower (only need 1 cup of pureed cauliflower) 1/2 + 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 1/2 + 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese 1 egg 1 teaspoon dried oregano 3 cloves garlic, smashed or finely diced olive oil 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft salt and pepper marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Cut the cauliflower into small pieces. Steam for about 15 minutes until fork tender.
- Use a food processor or ricer or immersion blender to puree the cauliflower, discard any chunks. Squeeze out any excess moisture.
- Shred all your cheese!
- Add 1 cup of the pureed cauliflower into a bowl with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, the egg, oregano, salt, and pepper. Use a fork to thoroughly mix together.
- Rub a baking stone with olive oil and lay a sheet of parchment paper on top, oil the parchment paper as well. Pour on the cauliflower mix.
- Use your hands to pat the cauliflower dough into a rectangle on the parchment paper. Try to make the crust as even as possible.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crispy. I had to check several times.
- Meanwhile, mash together the butter and the two remaining cloves of garlic with some salt and pepper.
- Smear the garlic butter on top of the hot crust and then sprinkle with 1/4 cup of each cheese.
- Bake for another 5-6 minutes, but watch closely! You want the cheese to be bubbly and golden brown, not burnt.
- Cut into slices and served with sauce if desired. These are great room temperature as well as hot!