This is best ice cream I have made since purchasing an ice cream maker! Seriously, the very best. Rich, creamy, perfectly sweet, delectable! The secret - a little bit of tequila, just a bit. You can't taste the tequila, this is not a recipe to get you drunk, the tequila simply allows the the ice cream to be smoother and creamier.
I made this recipe to make a boozy milkshake called a Pink Elephant. The Pink Elephant is made with this strawberry ice cream, a little milk, and tequila. You can taste the tequila in the milk shake! Adult milkshakes are the best and delightful after a long, hot day in the classroom. The milkshake is rich and sweet and has just the right kick from the tequila. Adulthood has its moments!
This is my third recipe for back-to-school. The week started with a Kahlua infused muffin and peach sorbet Bellinis. What's next you ask? One last tribute to summer fruit - Blueberry Mojitos! Look for the recipe Monday! But I implore you, with the last strawberries of summer, make some ice cream and save it in the freezer for those days you need one more touch of summer! Because, really, what is more summery than strawberry ice cream???
Strawberry Ice Cream Adapted from The Boozy Baker by Lucy Baker, page 130 Yield - 1 1/2-2 quarts
1 pound strawberries 3 tablespoons tequila 1/3 + 3/4 cup sugar 6 egg yolks 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 1/4 heavy cream 1 cup whole milk
- Freeze the bowl for the ice cream maker the night before.
- Wash and trim the strawberries. Slice and place a food processor. Process until they are pureed into a chunky liquid.
- Add the strawberries to a bowl with a 1/3 cup of sugar and the tequila. Mix and allow the mixture to macerate in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a medium bowl whisk together 3/4 cup of sugar, egg yolks, and salt. Whisk until the mixture become pale yellow and ribbony.
- Heat the cream and milk on the stove in a medium sized pot until the mixture begins to simmer. Add about 1/2 cup of the hot liquid into the egg yolks and whisk to combine and temper the eggs. Add another 1/2 cup and repeat.
- Add the eggs/milk into the rest of the cream mixture to the pot on the stove and cook for about 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Strain the egg/cream mixture using a fine mesh strainer. Whisk in the strawberries.
- Allow this mixture to completely cool and become cold. I place the bowl in the freezer for about 2-2 1/2 hours.
- If you use the KitchenAid attachment ice cream maker, set it up and turn the mixer on the lowest speed. Pour in the ice cream base and allow the mixture to churn for 20-25 minutes.
- Use a rubber scraper to move the ice cream to a freezer safe bowl. Let the ice cream harden overnight.
Pink Elephant Milkshakes Yield - 3 milkshakes
8 scoops of strawberry ice cream 1/4-1/2 cup milk 1/4 cup tequila strawberries & tequila for garnish