I'm not hosting Thanksgiving this year and I have zero insight on how to help others plan this meal, let's be honest here. I've hosted Thanksgiving before but it always seemed like a matter of luck and delegation. Honestly, Thanksgiving has caught me off guard this year, I know it's a bit early this year, but I'm just not ready.
So for those of you like me, who just need to show up, play with the kids, enjoy the meal, and help where I can - here is a recipe for you - a holiday cocktail! The deep, ruby red from the juice and bright green from the lime zest is perfect.
Let's get the season off to a great start with a delicious, colorful, and seasonal drink! My favorite part is the lime zest and sugar rim. There is an amazing transformation when you massage lime zest with the sugar. The sugar becomes softer and the zest becomes sweet. I adore the look of the green along the outside of the glass.
This drink is strong with a good balance of sweet and tart. I usually think of margaritas as a summer drink, but this is a great recipe to winterize them. You definitely know you're drinking a margarita, but you're not being hit over the face with it! Go to the store this afternoon and buy yourself some pomegranate juice, limes, and tequila and make your Thanksgiving a party!
Pomegranate Margaritas Adapted from How Sweet It is Yield - 1 generous serving
1 ounce simple syrup (1 cup sugar + 1 cup water) zest of two limes 2 tablespoons of sugar 1.5 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice (2 limes) 2 handfuls of ice 1.5 ounces (bigger jigger) tequila 1.5 ounces pomegranate juice 1 ounce (smaller jigger) triple sec pomegranate seeds
- Make the simple syrup by boiling 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water together. Stir until all the sugar is dissolved and let cool completely.
- Grate the lime zest and massage with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Spread out on plate.
- Juice your limes.
- Dip the top of your glass in the lime juice and then in the zest/sugar mixture. Add one handful of ice cubes and set aside.
- To a cocktail shaker add a handful of ice a bigger jigger of lime juice, tequila, and pomegranate juice. Add a smaller jigger of triple sec. Shake for about 30 seconds until the outside of the shaker feels cold.
- Strain into your garnished glass and add pomegranate seeds.