As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I grew up with many family parties. Despite always having a birthday party, it was never a party for you alone. I am lucky enough to share my party with my cousin Adam and my grandparents' wedding anniversary. When I asked Adam what kind of birthday treat he wanted he replied with apple pie. Who makes apple pie in July? So I thought about this for a bit because a birthday boy should get what he wants for his birthday and then I had an idea for apple pies in jars. Adorable! I knew my mom had my mason jars from a previous baking adventure so I thought I could just use those. Before I spoke with her I hoped on the good, 'ol, trusty internet to look for some recipes.
Cray cray! Leave it to Gloria from Glorious Treats to come to my rescue! Apparently apple pies in jars aren't just for fall, they are an all-American treat perfect for Fourth of July celebrations. Apple pie in July here we come!
This is some tasty apple pie. The crust is easy and crunchy on the bottom; I cheated again with store bought and used refrigerated pie crust. What can I say? When I'm in another kitchen, I need to make due; it's summer vacation, man! Then there are lovely bits of apple covered in sugar-cinnamon that are perfectly tender and chewable, yet still hold their shape. Finally we top it all off with a buttery crumb topping. There is nothing bad is this little jar!
And now let's make everything better - vanilla ice cream! And if you want things to be better than better, the best really, heat the little jar (without the lid of course) in the microwave for about 45 seconds and then add the vanilla ice. Magic! Here you go my friends, a portable dessert that is as delicious as it adorable!
One Year Ago - Roasted Strawberry Cake
Apple Pies in Jars Adapted from Glorious Treats Yield - 12 servings
12 wipe-mouth half-pint jars 2 sheets prepared pie crust
2 tablespoons (2 lemons) lemon juice 8 large granny smith apples 1 cup sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar 6 tablespoons flour 2 teaspoons cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F. Line 2 cookie sheets with foil.
- Use the ring from one of the jars to cut circles of pie crust. Place one circle of dough at the bottom of each jar.
- Add the lemon juice to a large bowl.
- Peel the apples and chop into small pieces and toss them in the lemon juice.
- Sprinkle the sugars, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg over the apples. Stir to combine.
- Divide the apple mixture evenly among the jars. Pack the apples, they shrink a lot during baking.
- Combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter into a medium bowl. Use two forks the stir the ingredients into a crumb mixture.
- Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of crumb over each jar.
- Place the jars on the foil and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Let cool completely before placing the lids of the jars on top.
- Optional for serving - Microwave for 20-30 seconds and place a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!