Yes, this happened; 48 mini cupcakes filled brown butter, banana, bacon, bourbon, and a peanut butter frosting. All of your wildest dreams have come true in one tiny bite. These little guys made a special appearance at our second annual (and final) Fall Fest! Needless to say, they were a hit.
Do you want to know what I did yesterday? Regardless of the answer, I'm going to you anyway. I volunteered at the NYC marathon. I have watched the marathon for several years and was scheduled to volunteer last year, but due to Super Storm Sandy, I was unable to do so. Volunteering is 10x better than being a spectator, for real!
Even though I was up at 5:30 a.m. and hauling boxes of Gatorade by 6:30, I had a fantastic experience! I mixed Gatorade, poured Gatorade, handed out Gatorade, cleaned up Gatorade, and absorbed all the spilled Gatorade. While all this was going on I was able to cheer on the elite men, women, and wheelchair racers. I was also able to cheer on all the regular runners from New York, the United States, and all over the world. When I looked down 4th Avenue and saw the thousands of runners coming, I was in awe. It's one of those moments when you're glad to be alive and glad to be apart of your community.
As excited as I was to open a new chapter in my life and leave New York this summer, I'm glad I stayed and yesterday cemented that decision for me. I was so proud to stand on the sidelines as New Yorker; I felt like a true representation of New York City! It was a great day!
It was also a great day when I ate the cupcakes. The banana keeps the cake portion super moist and allows the brown butter flavor to shine. Let me tell you a secret: I cooked the bacon on the stove and then added the butter to the same pan to brown, IN BACON GREASE! Yep, brown butter bacon grease in cupcakes - it spectacular, make it happen! Add in a peanut butter frosting, bourbon syrup reduction, and a piece of bacon and you're golden. Cupcakes out.
One Year Ago - Apple Pie Cheesecakes
Brown butter, banana, bourbon, and bacon cupcakes with peanut butter frosting Adapted from How Sweet it is Yield - 36 mini cupcakes
Cupcakes 8 ounces bacon 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter 1 1/3 cup flour 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg 1 egg 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/4 cup sour cream 3 large bananas, mashed
- Cook your bacon until crispy and set aside.
- Leave the bacon grease in the pan and add the butter. Melt the butter and cook until it is browned. Be sure to scrape off all the lovely bits at the bottom. Measure out 1/2 cup of this mixture and set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F and line your mini muffin tins with papers.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl whisk together the egg and brown sugar. Whisk in the vanilla, sour cream, and cooled brown butter.
- Stir in the the dry ingredients.
- Mash the bananas and stir into the batter. The batter will be thick.
- Use a scant 2-tablespoon scoop of batter in each cupcake liner. Bake for 11-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
Frosting 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature 1 cup peanut butter 4 cups (1 lb) powdered sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla splash of bourbon splash of cream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and peanut butter until well combined.
- Add the powdered sugar in small batches, thoroughly mixing between each.
- Beat in the vanilla and bourbon.
- Add the cream to reach the desired piping consistency.
- Use a large star tip to pipe a swirl on each cooled cupcake.
Bourbon drizzle 3/4 cup brown sugar 1/2 bourbon 1 tablespoon unsalted butter cooked bacon