This week should be called vegan week; all the recipes just happen to be vegan. This wasn't intentional, but fun never the less. No worries, the recipes become exponentially less healthy as the week progresses. Monday was super healthful and a part of my daily life; Friday's dessert is full of Oreo's and vegan butter. This is my life. These little cheesecakes were my sweet treat when I was eating dairy free for a few weeks. I stocked up on raw cashews and coconut oil to vegan bake my heart out.
It's amazing what you can do with nuts and coconut milk - plant based eating can be quite spectacular! Even though I've returned to dairy, I have visions of these dancing in head! Vegan cheesecakes are best as a frozen treat to maintain their integrity, they become melty outside the freezer. Just imagine, something like this on a stick, like a popsicle!
I adore the graham cracker crust and the filling is so delightfully creamy. These babies are tart with capital T! I ran out of honey, so if I were you, I'd add a bit more honey or agave if that floats your boat. Definitely taste and adjust. However tart, vegan key lime cheesecakes are refreshing and lovely.
Two Years Ago - Margarita Whoopie Pies
Vegan Key Lime Cheesecakes Adapted from Minimalist Baker Yield - 12 mini cheesecakes
1 sleeve of graham crackers 1/4 cup vegan butter (or regular) 1 cup raw cashews, soaked at least 4-6 hours or overnight in water 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk, shaken 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted 1/2 cup key lime juice 1 tablespoon lime zest 1/3 cup honey (agave is you want to be completely vegan) squirt of electric green food coloring, optional Coconut whipped cream and lime slices for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F and line 12 cupcake tins with liners.
- Crush the graham crackers into fine crumbs. Melt the butter and mix the two together. Divide evenly between the cupcake tins. Use a small glass to press the crust down. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Drain the cashews and add to a blender with the coconut milk, melted coconut oil, lime juice, zest, and honey. Blend until smooth. Add the food coloring if desired.
- Pour evenly over the crusts and freeze for at least four hours. Pull out of the freezer for 10-15 minutes before serving. Top with whipped cream if desired. Store in the freezer.
Coconut Whipped Cream 1 can full fat coconut milk, Thai Kitchens Organic 2 tablespoons powdered sugar splash of vanilla
- Separate the solid coconut cream from the liquid. Add the coconut cream to the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment and beat until fluffy. Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the whipped cream the a pastry bag with a star tip and pipe a dollop on each tart.