I wanted to make a pie, so I searched my favorite pie cookbook for a recipe that struck my fancy. I found one, but things didn't quite work as I expected. The filling was all runny; the flavors were spot on, but the texture off. Baking fail. Here is take two; four mini tarts instead of one large pie plus twice the amount of cornstarch. Success!
Oreos are vegan, so a crust with Oreos and vegan butter is a breeze! Cook some strawberries on the stove with a few extras until the mixture is thick and jam like. Fill the crust. To complete, whip up some coconut cream. Vegan heaven my friends.
The tarts are sweet and large, each one easily serves two. The filling is fresh and springy. You'll never miss the dairy and other artificial ingredients (just ignore the artificial ingredients in Oreos...). Strawberries scream of Spring and they are front and center in this dessert. Vegan chocolate strawberry tarts are one of those desserts that seem complicated, but is actually easy. In other words, it's tart time!
Two Years Ago - Black Bean Sliders
Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Tarts Adapted from Martha Stewart Pies and Tarts Yield - 4 4” tarts (8 servings)
Crust 20 Oreos 3 dates 5 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- Preheat to oven to 350 ˚F and generously grease your mini tart pans. Crush the Oreos into fine crumbs. Blend the dates until a paste forms. Mix the Oreos, date paste, and melted butter together until all the crumbs are moistened.
- Divided the crumbs evenly between the four tart pans and press firmly on the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the crusts become firm. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
Filling 1 quart strawberries 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar 1/4 cup unsweetened cranberry juice 1/4 cup cornstarch generous pinch of salt
- Take half the strawberries, core them, and chop them up. Add the chopped strawberries, sugar, juice, cornstarch, and salt to a medium saucepan. Cook and smash the mixture until it thickens into a paste.
- Slice the remaining strawberries and add the strawberry paste mixture. Turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly. Add to each tart and smooth over the top. Freeze for several hours.
Finishing 1 can full fat coconut milk, Thai Kitchens Organic 2 tablespoons powdered sugar splash of vanilla Oreo halves and extra strawberries for garnish
- Separate the solid coconut cream from the liquid. Add the coconut cream to the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment and beat until fluffy. Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla until well combined.
- Remove the the tarts from the freezer and from the little tart tins. Add the whipped cream to a pastry bag with a star tip and pipe a dollop on each tart. Garnish with Oreo halves and more strawberries.
- Store in the fridge and try to eat within 24-hours, the crust gets soggy.