Lately I've been wondering how much longer I can keep this blog going. I've been reading food blogs for several years and had wanted to start my own for awhile. When I finished my master's degree, I knew it was time! I had this teaching thing under control and had free time from not being in class, reading, and writing. I surprised myself by being able to churn out three recipes a week to photograph, edit, type up, and publish. It has always been a lot of work, but it's been enjoyable; my hobby, my commitment, something to challenge myself. Now that I'm back in grad school, working full time, and working extra hours, I just don't know if I can swing everything. I want to keep blogging, I still enjoy it; it's just become one more thing on my massive to-do list. Maybe I'll do one recipe a week and one WILTW, I don't know. It just feels sad that I might not be continuing something I've worked so hard to build the last two and half years. Besides school or work, this blog is the only thing I have ever truly committed to, and it's just for me, because I want it.
How many things do you do just for yourself? Yes, I want readers and followers and bake most of the treats for others, but the whole process of blogging requires a lot of alone time and dedication. I enjoy being apart of the blogging community and having invisible internet friends. I like how much I've grown as a baker, photographer, writer, and social-media navigator. I just wish I had about three more hours everyday.
Regardless of how I feel about blogging, you should make these ice cream sandwiches. One - they are super easy, two - you could customize with any flavor of extract and ice cream your heart desires, and three - they are delicious! The brownie is rich and chocolaty and the ice cream is cold and creamy; a perfect summer treat. I went the mint route because you can't go wrong with chocolate + mint, but I imagine there are endless possibilities. Please, make this happen!
Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Yield - 10 sandwiches
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla or mint extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup flour
2 1/2 - 3 cups ice cream (I used mint chocolate chip)
- Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F and line 2 8x8” pans with parchment paper, liberally grease the parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl over a double boiler, stir until it is all melted. Stir in the sugar and the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the extract.
- Add the flour and salt and mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans and spread with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the brownies are set.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Let the ice cream soften slightly and then use a standard ice cream scoop to portion the ice cream on one brownie. I used 5 scoops, but you could use more. Press the second brownie one top. The parchment paper is an excellent tool for moving the brownie slabs around.
- Return to the freezer to harden. Cut into pieces with a hot, dry knife. Wrap in parchment paper and store in the fridge.