It's 10 p.m. Sunday night and I'm laying in my bed writing this post. I think I write 80% of my posts from bed, so this is not unusual. What is unusual is the fact that I'm still in my pajamas, the pajamas I wore last night! That's right, I have not left my apartment today, I haven't even unlocked the deadbolt. Needless to say, I had little motivation to put on clean clothes, especially since I'm dropping off my laundry tomorrow. Since I feel overwhelmed with work and grad school and some semblance of a social life, I have been considering hiring a housekeeper. Nothing major, such someone to come once awhile to do the big cleaning jobs that I lack the motivation and time to complete like cleaning my filthy blinds and dusting behind the furniture. However, that seems like an over-privileged thing to do, I should be able to clean up after myself properly. So I compromised my time and decided to pay for drop-off laundry service, it's a lovely decadence! I pack all of my dirty towels, clothes, and sheets in a bag, drop it off before work, and it is perfectly folded for me to take home by the time work is done. #SweetLife
It sounds lazy, but I'm seriously exhausted. Usually summer is a period of relaxation, but summer 2014 felt like a never ending roller-coaster of travel, school, work, and emotion. I'm not complaining and do not regret a thing, it's just that I'm slamming into fall like a it's a brick wall and I'm really feeling the effects. I was not unproductive today; I made and canned tomato soup & tomatillo salsa, reorganized the kitchen, read a book, talked to my mom, and made a healthy dinner, I just didn't leave the house. It sounds lazy, but they day went by so fast, I need more hours! There is always grad work to do...
Anyway, I made these cookies on a day I not only left the house, but I drove across the great state of Michigan! On my journey I stopped and spend the night with Stacey to check out her new house. It's a perfect single lady house and I wanted to bring her something. Enter these cookies - chocolate and coffee are two of Stacey's favorite things, so why not combine them! The cookies are easy, tasty, and more delicate than the cookies I usually bake. These are a perfect afternoon pick-me-up: sugar, caffeine, and chocolate - delightful!
Coffee Sugar Cookies dipped in Chocolate
Adapted from I Am Baker
Yield - 18 cookies
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon fresh ground coffee
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening
- Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla, and coffee.
- Add the baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and mix until just combined. Scrape the bowl as needed. Add the flour and mix on low until all the flour is incorporated.
- Use a 2-tablespoon scoop to portion the dough on the cookie sheets.
- Dip a small glass in sugar and gently press down on each cookie to flatten.
- Bake for 8-10 or until the cookies just begin to brown. Move to a cooling rack and let cool completely before dipping.
- Add the chocolate chips and shortening to a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 20 second intervals. Stir at each interval and heat until the chocolate chips are melted and smooth.
- Dip half of each cookie in the chocolate and return to the cooling rack. Let the chocolate harden before storing.